How to Get a Ohio State Insurance License
|Ohio Department of Insurance||Testing Provider (Prometric)|
|(614) 644-2665||(877) 346-4014|
1. Schedule and Pass the Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Schedule your exam with your state’s testing provider, PSI Exams. The fastest way to schedule your exam is to do so online at www.psiexams.com. You can also schedule your exam over the phone at (800) 733-9267. Your exam fee is $42.
To change or cancel your testing appointment, you must contact PSI Exams at least 48 hours in advance or forfeit the examination fee.
What to Bring
Take and pass your state licensing exam. On the day of your appointment, you must bring with you two valid forms of government-issued identification (driver’s license, passport, military I.D., etc.), one of which must contain your name and photograph. You must also provide your prelicensing certificate of completion. You will not be able to take your exam if these requirements are not met.
At the end of your exam, you will receive a printed score report marked “pass” or “fail.”
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
- All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
- No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate’s educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
- Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
|Ohio Exam Information|
|Exam Code||Exam Name||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|11-35||Agent’s Exam for Life, Accident and Health Insurance||2 hrs 30 min||150|
|11-36||Agent’s Exam for Property and Casualty Insurance||2 hrs 30 min||150|
|11-44||Agent’s Exam for Life||2 hrs||100|
2. Get Fingerprinted and Criminal Background
Complete an electronic criminal background check using National WebCheck. You may set an appointment online. More information about fingerprinting and background information visit the Background Check page on the Ohio Department of Insurance’s website.
3. Apply for a License
Apply for your license with NIPR online.