How to Get a Maryland State Insurance License
1. Schedule and Pass the Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
- Online: Frequently Asked Questions | Prometric
- Phone: 800-610-1174
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
- A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
- No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
- Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
- Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
- You may not exit the building during the exam.
- Any candidate seen giving or receiving assistance will be asked to leave the exam center. The dismissal will be reported to the state and you may be denied licensure.
Prometric: Life and Health Producer.pdf (prometric.com)
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Maryland
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
|Maryland Exam Information|
|Exam Name||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|Life Producer||2 hrs||80|
|Accident & Health Producer||2 hrs||80|
|Life, Accident & Health Producer||3 hrs 30 min||130|