1. Get Fingerprinted
This requirement can be met either before the exam or at the exam site on the day of the exam. There are three options:
- PSI Exam Sites: PSI has fingerprint technicians available at exam sites (http://www.psiexams.com).
- CA Department of Insurance Exam Sites: Prior to the licensing exam, you may schedule your fingerprint impressions using CDI’s contracted fingerprint vendor, Accurate Biometrics (866-361-9944 or http://www.accuratebiometrics.com). Remember to bring a completed Live Scan Request, form 442-39A.
- Department of Justice Vendors: Another option is to check the Department of Justice (DOJ) for a list of approved Live Scan fingerprinting vendors at http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php.
Getting fingerprinted early will expedite the issuance of a license once your exam is passed. This will avoid delays while CDI waits to receive the results from the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants who have a criminal record typically take longer to receive results than applicants who don’t. Any type of criminal violation received during adult years will be listed in the fingerprint results. Failure to disclose any criminal violations may cause a delay or prevent you from obtaining your license.
2. Schedule and Pass the Licensing Exam
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
- Online: www.psiexams.com
- Phone: (877) 392-6422
- Fax completed California Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
- Mail completed California Registration Form and appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC * ATTN: Examination Registration CA INS * 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
One valid form of government-issued identification (driver’s license, California identification card, passport, passport card, military ID) that has your signature and photograph. The identification provided must match the name given during registration.
If you cannot provide the required identification, you must call (800) 733-9267 at least three weeks prior to your scheduled appointment to arrange a way to meet this security requirement.
- 18 PSI locations with a convenience charge (in addition to exam fee) when going to a PSI site (free parking)
- 3 California Department of Insurance locations with no convenience charge
- You may also test at any of PSI’s other exam sites, outside of California
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
- No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
- Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
- Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
- You may not exit the building during the exam.
- Copying or communicating exam content is a violation of PSI security policy and Section 1681.5 of the CIC. Either may result in the disqualification of exam results and lead to legal action and prosecution.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
- You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
- You may not wear a jacket, coat or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
- You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
- You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
- You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to California
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 60%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on a California Department of Insurance exam results letter.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful California Department of Insurance exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion.
|California Exam Information|
|Exam Type||Time (minutes)|
|Life, Accident and Health Agent||195|