How to Get a Alabama State Insurance License
1. Schedule and Pass the Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by the University of Alabama. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card or debit card. All reservations need to be made at least seven days (five business days) before the desired exam date. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
- Online: Make an online reservation at http://training.ua.edu/insurance-testing/
- Phone: (205) 348-3000
What to Bring
Bring a current form of identification (a valid Driver’s License, non-driver ID, passport, military ID, or employee ID card).
You will be required to present a notarized copy of your pre-licensing education Certificate of Completion at the exam.
- Report to the test center 15-20 minutes before the exam to complete paperwork
- Examinees are not permitted to bring purses, study materials, books, calculators, or cell phones into the testing area
- Calculators will be provided for use
- Examinees may not leave the room during an exam without permission from the exam proctor.
- If you do not receive your confirmation letter by e-mail, call 205-348-0633 or email your name and confirmation number to email@example.com
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- Your examination will be graded immediately upon submission
- If you pass, you will be provided an original passing certificate certifying that you passed the examination with instruction on how to complete the application process and receive your license
- Your passing grades will be reported within 3-5 days electronically to the State of Alabama Department of Insurance
- The passing certificate is valid for a period of one year from the exam date indicated, during which time you should file your online license application with the State of Alabama Department of Insurance.
- The passing certificate will not be awarded until the monitor views passing results
- If time allows, you will be given the opportunity to review the questions that you missed
|Alabama Exam Information|
|Exam Name||Exam Time||# Correct to Pass||Total Questions|
|Life Producer||2 hours 30 mins||87||125|
|Life & Health Producer||3 hours||105||150|
2. Get Fingerprinted
Effective April 1, 2015, all individual resident applicants seeking to become licensed as Producers, Adjusters, or Title Agents must have completed a Fingerprint background check. You should seek to get fingerprinted after passing the state exam and one day before applying for the license. For more information on fingerprinting requirements, visit www.cogentid.com.